If Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty has his way, there will be NO protection of animals in Ontario…..period. The revised Bill of Jack MacLaren, if passed will certainly see to that.
We cannot allow this to happen!!!
Rally to oppose the new Bill 37 to be introduced on Monday by MPP Jack McLaren:
After public outcry and strong criticism, MPP Jack MacLaren of the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario withdrew private members Bill 37 but is now introducing The Prevention of Cruelty of Animals Act, 2012 in its place…
Question: Are theSe the apparent kinds of situations and people that Ontario’s elected officials wish to protect?? Seemingly so!!
Living in squalor: After years of complaints, SPCA seizes hounds, birds from Elgin-area farm
By Hugh Adami, The Ottawa Citizen March 15, 2012
Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Living+squalor+After+years+complaints+SPCA+seizes+hounds+birds+from+Elgin+area+farm/6308553/story.html#ixzz1pTT0UPCm
“OTTAWA — About 40 hounds and 145 fowl and game birds were seized this week from an Elgin-area farmer, notorious over the years with neighbours and animal-welfare groups for alleged neglect and mistreatment of his dogs.”
To quote a private source in Ontario:
“The fact is that neither OMAFRA nor any police organizations have discussed this Bill with Jack MacLaren nor entered into any agreement to take over the responsibility of policing and investigating animals.
Therein lies the danger in this Bill. He has sent out an “Explanatory Note” with his revision which is not honest and at first glance will have many people thinking it is a good thing. It is most definitely not. It will take
our animal welfare back into the dark ages. He is counting on people not bothering to compare his explanation with the actual Bill and the way he has worded it makes it look like the arrangement with the Ministry of
Agriculture (OMFRA) Ontario Ministry of Agriculture ,Food and Rural Affairs is a done deal.
Unfortunately many people will not read between the lines, nor understand that his explanatory note and the Bill say two different things. People are not usually willing to wade through the legality of a Private Members Bill.
A reliable source who spoke with the Minister of Agriculture has noted that not only would he not support this, he had not even seen the Bill. It is all smoke and mirrors.”
It is MOST IRONIC that the Animal Legal Defense Fund had applauded Ontario’s Animal Protection Laws stating in their 2011 Report
We can all wonder just what the ALDF must be thinking now!!
10/06/2010 10:20:49 AM
CTV.ca News Staff
“Animals in Ontario, meanwhile, enjoy the best protection in Canada, the ALDF says, which ranked the province in the top spot. It applauded, in particular, Ontario’s mandatory restrictions on future ownership of animals for those convicted of animal cruelty.”
Here’s the full ranking list:
- 1. Ontario
- 2. Nova Scotia
- 3. Manitoba
- 4. New Brunswick
According to yet another un-named reliable source this comment has been made:
“- Jack MacLaren’s Bill 37 which proposed to gut the Ontario SPCA Act and strip the SCPA of pretty much all of their powers has indeed been withdrawn as has already been reported
– According to a template response being sent out by MacLaren’s office, the MP has drafted a new OSPCA bill which is apparently similar enough in intent to allow it to proceed to second reading on March 29th
– According to MacLaren, this bill would create a distinction between cruelty to dogs and cats and cruetly to farm animals, limiting the SPCA’s powers in the case of the latter
– It would also take away the SPCA’s enforcement and policing powers leaving them with the power to investigate and report their findings to police who would determine whether charges were warranted
It seems to me though from reviewing a copy of the new bill that MacLaren is not being completely upfront, in that his bill does a few more things than he’s suggesting.
– distress is redefined, possibly making it more difficult to prosecute for neglect – instead of meaning “the state of being in need of proper care, water, food or shelter or being injured, sick or in pain or suffering or being abused or subject to undue or unnecessary hardship, privation or neglect”, MacLaren’s definition limits distress to “any sickness, injury or physical pain or suffering resulting from abuse or neglect”
– it would also add policing costs and court costs– possibly in the millions or tens of millions of dollars — as it asks the police to dedicate time and resources to dealing with animal cruelty crimes after the SPCA has already investigated, creating unnecessary duplication and waste (triplication if you consider that OMAFRA investigators may also now be involved in cases that they previously would have left to the OSPCA) — and it involves the courts in issuing animal protection orders and removal orders, thousands a year and also warrants for situations that don’t now require warrants — would this money be made available or would animal crimes simply not be prosecuted?”
Here’s a couple of articles which talk about what MacLaren is doing:
Bill 37, Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Amendment Act, 2012
Note that the FIRST READING in the House carried!!!
The “Smoke and Mirrors” : the Bill and the Explanatory Note say two different things:
Revised PC Party Act Still Guts Animal Cruelty Laws
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
In a recent letter to Premier McGuinty written by CFAWR:
This amended bill by Jack Maclaren has a clear conflict of interest and bias in this proposed Ontario legislation … Passage of the Bill would provide for zero transparency and accountability in a notoriously inhumane industry. Imagine: the very people who slaughter animals for food will be the ones to “ensure” standards are maintained
If you all do one thing today after you receive this E mail PLEASE click onto the web links and see for yourself what you will be allowing to happen to farm animals in Ontario Every animal welfare advocate and citizen in Canada and Ontario is asking that you DO NOT PASS THIS BILL
If an abused animal has to wait to be seen by a veterinarian what happens to all the abused animals who NEVER get taken to the vet .This point (7) is nothing short of allowing those who inflict torture and abuse on animals a free ride! Does Jack McLaren really believe a person who abuses their pet or other animal is going to take it to the vet ????
British Columbia knows firsthand that by the time you report and animal being abused and WAIT to get the paperwork the animal is “ disappeared “ or dead The BCSPCA has a very successful animal control force that can seizes an abused animal from the area it is located in. When any animal is being abused and tortured it cannot “ wait” for paperwork to be brought to safety!!!!
www.spca.bc.ca › Cruelty › Legislation
Enables BC SPCA constables to obtain a warrant to seize an animal using the … BC SPCA officers can
enter property and act immediately to help an animal in …
Please most kindly make yourselves aware of the federal Animal Cruelty legislation It is barely 3.5 pages There is virtually nothing in it to protect animals and nothing concrete that the judges and courts can utilize in make sound judgments with regard to prosecuting animal cruelty perpetrators Its basic tenets were written over 118 years ago! This is critical and in reference to point (9) of the proposed Maclaren Bill.
CURRENT LEGISLATION. Current Canadian Federal Animal …
Farm animals maybe food animals but they feel and suffer as we do and as all sentient creatures do. Please, please think about the catastrophic devastation and unspeakable pain and suffering you will be allowing to happen to factory farm animals, family pets and other animals…. if this bill is allowed to pass and its effect on all of those animals and creatures… who cannot speak up in their own defence? By not passing this bill you could be making the first and historic step in supporting Canada’s commitment in principle to the UDAW Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare
Set a shining example for the rest of Canada ? Please …do the right thing and protect the animals in Ontario?? Their million voices now lie in your hands !
Yours very Sincerely
Sarah West. Founder Canadians For Animal welfare Reform CFAWR www.cfwr.org
Co-Founder Canadian Animal Welfare Coalition.
Ambassador for Canada WORLD ANIMAL DAY
CETFA investigators recently concluded an investigation into conditions in Canadianbarns that spanned 4 provinces. The footage covers nearly all species of …CCFA | FAQ’s
Sadly, Canada’s anti-cruelty laws do not protect farm animals from suffering caused by factory farming systems provided they are considered standard industry …
7 Jan 2007 – Part II — good article to click after photographs of abused animals …..The majority of these are raised in factory farms where they are stacked in …
These are actual photographs and videos documenting the abuse found in “food animal” factories, stockyards, and slaughterhouses. Many people will find them …
Currently, there are 18 million pigs raised on factory farms in Canada, with this number set to rise over the coming years as export markets for pork increase.
7 May 2005 – Canada has around 2800 farms where broiler chickens are raised for meat. …. In order to maximize profits, factory farms often put the health of …
The MacLaren Bill must not be passed and NONE of the following below allowed
1. Separate inspections into (a) farm animal inspections and (b) non-farm animal inspections
2. -Farm inspections will be carried out by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA)
3. -Non-farm animal inspections will be carried out by the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (OSPCA)
4. -OMAFRA & OSPCA Inspection officers will be the first response to complaints and will be limited to observation, advisement, education, and writing reports on visits made
5. -Inspectors will no longer have the power of a police officer and will not be able to inspect without the permission of the land owner
6. -Enforcement will be done by the OPP or local police force ONLY after abuse has been substantiated and reported on by the inspectors. Police force enforcement to stop actual abuse should be few and far between
7. -Abused animal removal will only be done with the recommendation of a veterinarian and sanctioned by a justice of the peace
8. -OSPCA will no longer be able to invoice animal owners
9. -Only the police will be able to lay charges under the Provincial Offenses Act or the Criminal Code of Canada
You can add your voice in Opposing this Proposed Bill : Write your own emails: Just Copy and Paste these addresses into your TO Box.
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,
Read Full Post »